Sunday, August 17, 2008

Why I home school my children

Many people wonder why I home school my children. First let me say this post could be somewhat offensive to some people. I apologize, but these are my honest feelings.

I hated school as a child. I hated it so much that I used to get physically sick. I believe schools demean children. They treat them only slightly better than animals to the slaughter. When to eat, when to play, when to talk, when to use the bathroom. Even worse, what to think.

I want my children to be free to learn what they choose. Even if it seems pointless to those around them. Even if it means they learn about the same thing every day for a year. Even if it means they are "not on track" with their age group.

I want them to be able to try something, mess up, and try again! I want them to be able to try, try, and try again without fear of bad grades or harsh words. This is how we learn. By making mistakes. School takes this away.

I want my kids to be able to learn by doing. I want them to learn about animals by going to the zoo. To learn about the weather by playing outside. To learn about the depression by talking to someone that was actually there.

I want my kids to be able to eat when they are hungry and not because they are on someone else schedule.

I want my kids to be able to use the restroom when they need it and not have to hold it until the next break

I want my kids to be able to play with kids older and younger than they are. I don't want them to be segregated by age. My kids have learned so much by playing with kids outside of their age group.

I want my kids to learn because they enjoy it, not because they have to.

No comments: