Sunday, February 21, 2010

Poem

This is something I wrote quite a while back. I wrote it after talking to a friend about her hospital birth experience. When I first wrote it I felt like it needed more. However, I looked at it again today and I think I'm going to leave it alone for the time being.



The fluorescent artificial light replaces the sun. Cold metal and itchy blankets replace the natural wood and downy comforters of the family bed. No longer will you hear the chirping of birds or even your own breath. Now it is only the rhythmic beat of the monitors and the chatter of strangers invading your space.

They say you are safe here. You are not. You are wide open. Open to their abuse. Open to their pressures. Legs spread, trapped, a loaded gun at your back. They say it will take away the pain. You will feel nothing. But since when is feeling nothing a good thing?

No comments: